• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 2 v Fire Chickens

Ancient Mariner

Just home with a few first impressions from the game. Prolly need correcting after I watch the replay but here goes.
Difficult windy day with a lightning fast pitch which took our players time to adjust to.
MOM, Yellow Army. best organised team at the stadium. good voice.
I think FFC said what I was thinking when he said "too many teenagers". I had the feeling that we had a lot of players who were lacking that little bit of experience that another year or two will bring. Not enough anticipation, and lacking some confidence. If we can keep the squad together I think we will see improvements as the season progresses and unlike last year we will finish stronger than we start.
I wish Birraz would command his box more. Too often he seems hesitant to come out and claim the ball. Maybe I am too used to Danny and Matty Ryan. My only complaint about him.
Once again I thought Storm was poor. He gave the ball away far too often. I preferred Miller who brought pace and danger our right hand side.
I thought Nizzy was off his form in the first half and came infield too often. In the second half he was the best on the park and worked well with Miller.The pair provided a threat to the opposition.
Cy looked the best striker taking shots in the warm up apart from that I thought he was fairly quiet and will withhold further judgement until I see more.
Marco was MOM and had a great game and provided leadership and a threat.
Tsekenis I thought got the ball too often with his back to goal and never looked really threatening like that. I hope he shows he can turn a player and shoot. Early days.
I was ver excited by Moresch. Of all the newbies he looks exciting and showed glimpses of superior ball control. More of him please.
Ballard I thought was good and solid but I would still like to see Nizzy their next to Ollie. We will not loose anything in defence and think we will gain a lot in better go forward and a better link in transition from defence to attack along with more creativity.
Ruon looked very underdone and both he and Rowles seemed out of sorts.

Early thoughts but today I felt we needed a bit more experience overall and some more excitement and creativity in attack.
I look hopefully to Matty and Mueller to bring the added experience and Benni and Moresch to for the excitement.
Maybe more thoughts after I watch the replay.

FFC Mariner

Brilliant - spot on IMHO.

Beni has, in 2 games, become that player who all defenders hate. He runs at you and you have no idea what he plans to do. Kwas was a bit like that. Totally unpredicatable and a far better footballer than people thought.

We missed him today against a well drilled side

Wombat

If you start Storm Roux and leave Dan Hall on the bench you are always going to struggle. Rowles did his usual and handed the advantage to the other side. He is NPL at best and we need to move on from him.
Good move to try Tsekenis - kid will only improve but we mist have alarm bells ringing about our inability to score.
Yes we have injuries but I'm worried about our Brazillian. I think Simon might still be the best striker on our books and thats scary.

3 word match review?

Too many teenagers
Absolute bullshit on Rowles. He has been our best defender for this preseason and often outshines Ruon.

scottmac

Suspended
Just home with a few first impressions from the game. Prolly need correcting after I watch the replay but here goes.
Difficult windy day with a lightning fast pitch which took our players time to adjust to.
MOM, Yellow Army. best organised team at the stadium. good voice.
I think FFC said what I was thinking when he said "too many teenagers". I had the feeling that we had a lot of players who were lacking that little bit of experience that another year or two will bring. Not enough anticipation, and lacking some confidence. If we can keep the squad together I think we will see improvements as the season progresses and unlike last year we will finish stronger than we start.
I wish Birraz would command his box more. Too often he seems hesitant to come out and claim the ball. Maybe I am too used to Danny and Matty Ryan. My only complaint about him.
Once again I thought Storm was poor. He gave the ball away far too often. I preferred Miller who brought pace and danger our right hand side.
I thought Nizzy was off his form in the first half and came infield too often. In the second half he was the best on the park and worked well with Miller.The pair provided a threat to the opposition.
Cy looked the best striker taking shots in the warm up apart from that I thought he was fairly quiet and will withhold further judgement until I see more.
Marco was MOM and had a great game and provided leadership and a threat.
Tsekenis I thought got the ball too often with his back to goal and never looked really threatening like that. I hope he shows he can turn a player and shoot. Early days.
I was ver excited by Moresch. Of all the newbies he looks exciting and showed glimpses of superior ball control. More of him please.
Ballard I thought was good and solid but I would still like to see Nizzy their next to Ollie. We will not loose anything in defence and think we will gain a lot in better go forward and a better link in transition from defence to attack along with more creativity.
Ruon looked very underdone and both he and Rowles seemed out of sorts.

Early thoughts but today I felt we needed a bit more experience overall and some more excitement and creativity in attack.
I look hopefully to Matty and Mueller to bring the added experience and Benni and Moresch to for the excitement.
Maybe more thoughts after I watch the replay.
In regards to experience, I think if a few more of our chances fell to players with more experience then we may draw or even win that game.

I think with a full squad the Nizzy/Ballard debate will be settled one way or the other. Not sure which way, but won't be upset either way.

Last edited:

Ads

Really I thought Hatch created a lot of those last dangerous moments.

Sure he got a bit excited and over ran before shooting but I feel Muller might be off the pace like a few of those Sydney players.

All other dominating play in last 20 minutes was not dangerous other than Moreshe and Hatch trying to go for it.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well, the ref was alright ,huh?, must say the boys gave it a good go , but this waiting 50 mins to score is getting on my nerves , now I’m no footballing genius , that’s been proved over the eons, but can we start with a front four of moresche Jnr, Benny, Marcos and cy goddard with mueller and Tsekenis as subs from now on , and no I’m not hating on Simmo , but if his got bulging discs in his neck (of which I’m the less than proud owner of four in my lower back) he ain’t thinking about football for a bit….also , Matt hatch is a fkn defender , he scored one amazing but fluke goal last year and everybody thinks his gonna do it every other half of footy…stick him up the back with Storm as his sub or Hatchy as Dan halls sub and stop nominating him for the fkn Ball D’Or …Nizzy ,Olly & Cy done good as did Tongers and Rowlesy , Tsekenis was a bit of a headless chook, but had moments…Monty is getting it together …another game or so and he should have it sorted ….upwards and onwards ..cause I want ……WINNING PODS !!!!!!!!!

booney

Missed watching the game live as driving back from the North Coast so watching the replay now.Overall l think it was a reasonable display.Both Phoenix goals had a bit of luck about them and our goal was due to a defensive blunder.
I think we showed more creativity than our opponents but could not finish the good approach play.Disagree with FFC Mariner's opinion re: Rowles.This player had some terrible moments when our team was shit but has shown great improvement over last two seasons-and even in the shit years ,despite blunders,never let the team down with poor attitude.

Ironbark

I'm looking forward to a full strength team to choose from. Once settled we'll win more games than we lose. It's still a fairly new group playing together too, but it's obvious that they have a plan and Monty has his philosophy growing into the fabric of this team.

true believer

Not our best display defensively at all and we struggled to break them down but Talay always sets a team up well and I still think we have a way to go to be at our best.

With a fully fit team we wouldn't be starting with Balard and Tsekenis. Ruon would be up to speed and Nizz would be partnering Ollie in the middle and I suspect that Moresche would be starting next to Urena ( a prospect I am looking forward to). Then you have Beni, Cy and Mueller to play the wide men.

I hope Matty recovers soon as well but his injury may be his body telling him that with his style of play it is not made for longevity.
i disagree on balard . i believe he's the best option at dm and improving .

Wombat

Well, the ref was alright ,huh?, must say the boys gave it a good go , but this waiting 50 mins to score is getting on my nerves , now I’m no footballing genius , that’s been proved over the eons, but can we start with a front four of moresche Jnr, Benny, Marcos and cy goddard with mueller and Tsekenis as subs from now on , and no I’m not hating on Simmo , but if his got bulging discs in his neck (of which I’m the less than proud owner of four in my lower back) he ain’t thinking about football for a bit….also , Matt hatch is a fkn defender , he scored one amazing but fluke goal last year and everybody thinks his gonna do it every other half of footy…stick him up the back with Storm as his sub or Hatchy as Dan halls sub and stop nominating him for the fkn Ball D’Or …Nizzy ,Olly & Cy done good as did Tongers and Rowlesy , Tsekenis was a bit of a headless chook, but had moments…Monty is getting it together …another game or so and he should have it sorted ….upwards and onwards ..cause I want ……WINNING PODS !!!!!!!!!
Ref was excellent. Even handed and consistent

style_cafe

i disagree on balard . i believe he's the best option at dm and improving .
I must admit i`m liking Balard the more I see of him.
Steele is in the same boat he looks very good.
The problem we have though is they all need game time,even though being part of the squad will improve them.
So Monty has a real conundrum,get the newbies going,bring the kids in slowly and keep the club and fans happy.
That`s not going to be easy... :popcorn:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami