• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Sydney to host the Grand Final next 3 years

Coastalraider

I think this is a bad move given the history of playing in one of the GF teams home stadiums. But to play devils advocate, most of Australian sports pinnacle events are locked to a particular city/stadium. AFL gf, NRL gf, Boxing Day test, Australian open, Melbourne cup… none of these rotate.

Even the English football version of a GF is locked to a stadium - the FA cup final at Wembley.

This is one of the only ones that isn’t locked in until all finals are played, is at the whim of stadium bookings, and misses out on a huge revenue stream from Host City funding.

And look at the positives - when we make the GF again, at least we dont have to travel far.

FFC Mariner

I think this is a bad move given the history of playing in one of the GF teams home stadiums. But to play devils advocate, most of Australian sports pinnacle events are locked to a particular city/stadium. AFL gf, NRL gf, Boxing Day test, Australian open, Melbourne cup… none of these rotate.

Even the English football version of a GF is locked to a stadium - the FA cup final at Wembley.

This is one of the only ones that isn’t locked in until all finals are played, is at the whim of stadium bookings, and misses out on a huge revenue stream from Host City funding.

And look at the positives - when we make the GF again, at least we dont have to travel far.
Agree but distances aren't the same

StensnessGOAT

most of Australian sports pinnacle events are locked to a particular city/stadium
Key word here is pinnacle. The A-League GF is nowhere near a pinnacle event on the Australian sports calendar.

Fans of any club will be clamouring for an AFL grand final ticket. They sell out in minutes. I'd sell my soul for one regardless of whether my team is in it. That's not the case in the A-League. A-League GFs are still mainly for fans of those clubs.

style_cafe

Key word here is pinnacle. The A-League GF is nowhere near a pinnacle event on the Australian sports calendar.

Fans of any club will be clamouring for an AFL grand final ticket. They sell out in minutes. I'd sell my soul for one regardless of whether my team is in it. That's not the case in the A-League. A-League GFs are still mainly for fans of those clubs.
I can`t stand Australian rules, it`s a shit game based in Melbourne for Melbournians... :popcorn:

Corsair

This guy hasn't got a clue what the fanbase want and doesn't care. All he cares about is money, this really seems like another bad deal in the same vein as Paramount Plus.

From the interview:
Q: "Did other states get a chance to bid?"

A: "Yeah.....Well, we didn't run a formal process but...."

Corporate horse shit, I bet they didn't canvas any fan groups.

In my opinion it's probably a good thing for us as a club but a bad thing for the league as a whole. Although at least you have 5 clubs from 12 that are driving distance to Sydney stadiums.

Imagine the crowd for a Perth Glory v Wellington Phoenix final.

Supposedly build "new tradition" by....abolishing existing tradition...and it's only a 3 year deal. How's that building tradition? Will it switch to Melbourne in 3 years time so we can build a tradition there?!

@Shaun Mielekamp did you/the club get an opportunity to voice an opinion on this?

StensnessGOAT

So why isn`t played around the world?... :popcorn:
Because it's Australian football made in Australia by Australians. No different to the other countries who have their own codes of football (Ireland, America).

It doesn't make them worse sports (American is shit but Gaelic is great).

turbo

this really seems like another bad deal in the same vein as Paramount Plus.
Paramount wasn’t a bad deal it was necessary to secure the future when Foxtel shafted the league. The concept of what they wanted to do with 10 was good as well. It’s all been let down by the simple issue of the app being garbage.

Melange

For context, Canberra have paid GWS 28.5 mill for three games a season for the next 5 years. Just under 2 mill per game. Not finals.

Can Townsend reveal what our flagship games worth according to his deal? I hope it's worth much much more than 2 mill.

What will be achieved from leaving games after 20 minutes? If we take the Wrexham fans as an example, wouldn't it be better disrupting Townsend's personal life (peacefully) by having a rolling schedule of fans turning up to his house and questioning his decisions, letting him know their feelings until he gets the point and resigns?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred