• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The age of mediocrity is now

Forum Phoenix

Normally very good analysis FP but this time you get a WTF.
Agree that Paull IS a problem atm and Monty would have binned him after 2 poor games not 5 or 6. MJ needs to fix this issue NOW.
Cummings was actually very poor around the box but did make a token effort. Kuol if he was to come that deep is a better natural defender.
The only way Steele comes into my side is as a FB and only to see out a game.
3 Gun shy centre mids is only good for 0.0 draws against a team who are technically better than you.

Ha. You mean - Wow That's Fantastic - right?

I was talking about JC specifically inside the box - because we're not just conceding off counters, we're conceding goals when we have plenty of men in the box. JC had great poacher reactions and instincts and can specifically remembering him clearing lot of balls for a forward. Commentators were always banging on about it. Not saying his other defensive attributes shone out.

I get the Steele reluctance and 3 CM's who don't score is a very good point. But my point was re the press debate, being he closes down well, typically solid and reliable.

Anyway, always happy to agree to disagree. We've copped goals on the counter but I think a lot of people are lazily blaming the press, where the actual answers for a defensive frailties are a lot more specific and about individual positioning errors or concentration lapses than it's the coach's fault for tactically wanting a press. There's a many a teams that doesn't press and tries to sit back behind solid banks of four who still get absolutely pumped. I'm not convinced we'll be great playing a lot more in our own half than people seem to think we will.

Oh, and you left off Vítězslav Lavička. Nice man, great coach. Couldn't believe he got axed for finishing third I think it was after wining the previous year. Shows the power Corica must have had in the old boys network to last so long.

Forum Phoenix

They were a very good side that was capable of playing that style. We not so much.

I’m sure MJ would give his arm for a broich and berisha.

They were a great side. But pressing simply isn't a skill that only great sides can pull off.
Ange also built his invincibles out of a lot of, imo, previously unremarkable players in McKay and Murdocca. Guy made Mitch Nichols star. Personally I rate Tulio as highly as any attacking visa player iv'e seen in the league - Broiche was great but Harper as usual overhyped him - I think Tulio's more talented.

But boy could we do with Berisha's firepower. And he was a beast with his energy for pressing from the front. Clearly possessed by some kind mad Albanian war god.... Looky, looky. looky...

Big Al

Why would you drop Theo or Torres to the bench to accomodate either of two at this stage average CM's who are defensively minded.

Makes zero logic to me.
Because we need to fix the defense ASAP so that would help.

Our subs are currently like a surrender flag. There is no threat against a tiring defense.

Look at Sunday. We brought on Steele and DWH to attack with 10 men and brisbane took a breath and laughed and said we got this.

Also a front 3 might open us up to be more counter attacking and Tulio can be effective on the wing and he can release those passes to put Koul through on goal. I think that suits Koul better and Tulio was good there last year. He is also talented and smart enough to know when to float into the middle.

Alternatively and probably your preferred option is Niz back to a more defensive role and leave the front four as is. With Balard the higher of the two with Niz

Niz and Tulio together high are crowding the middle and clunking an already clunky front.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

The sad fact is that our recent recruiting has failed. DWH, Wilson, Doka, Smith and (arguably) Paull are simply not going to start in any top 6 side let alone top 2 or 4.
I'd go as far to say that Wilson and DWH may not go that great in NPL (the NSW top tier is a very strong comp)
Jury still out on Torres and I think Kuol will come good again.
Scrub this season - get the MJ experiment over with, get a local coach and go next season

Stuartmcateer

They were a great side. But pressing simply isn't a skill that only great sides can pull off.
No, but we are not a great side nor do we look like we are pressing with any plan or desire.

Even if we win the ball on a press we are so disorganised we give it straight back and we are open in transition.

That’s the difference between great sides executing it and us.
Ange also built his invincibles out of a lot of, imo, previously unremarkable players in McKay and Murdocca. Guy made Mitch Nichols star. Personally I rate Tulio as highly as any attacking visa player iv'e seen in the league - Broiche was great but Harper as usual overhyped him - I think Tulio's more talented.
Broich was not overhyped at all. Tulio has some nice touches but broich was better all round.

Unremarkable players playing a role in a team and following very good tactics make the difference.

Watch some of the rotation that McKay and murdocca did back then to suck players in and allow them to play between the lines to broich and berisha.

How many times McKay ends up at left back, the LB high and broich drifting inside from the left into the vacated midfield area because the opposing CM pressed to track McKay is crazy.

We don’t have the players to carry out the game plan we seem to be employing at the moment.

The other thing McKay had was a leader with a nasty streak. He was a guy capable of a big hit and grabbing a game to swing it for his team. We don’t have that.

Mitch Nicholls before the drugs was actually a decent player.

Forum Phoenix

The sad fact is that our recent recruiting has failed. DWH, Wilson, Doka, Smith and (arguably) Paull are simply not going to start in any top 6 side let alone top 2 or 4.
I'd go as far to say that Wilson and DWH may not go that great in NPL (the NSW top tier is a very strong comp)
Jury still out on Torres and I think Kuol will come good again.
Scrub this season - get the MJ experiment over with, get a local coach and go next season

Though I’m not ready to ditch Mj yet. I think you’re probably right on the rest unfortunately. Just hoping at least a couple of those players can prove you wrong.

But this is the thing… if the squad that Monty put together and Jackson walked into so late is weak, why are you so convinced he’s clueless and not a good coach?

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

No, but we are not a great side nor do we look like we are pressing with any plan or desire.

Even if we win the ball on a press we are so disorganised we give it straight back and we are open in transition.

That’s the difference between great sides executing it and us.

Broich was not overhyped at all. Tulio has some nice touches but broich was better all round.

Unremarkable players playing a role in a team and following very good tactics make the difference.

Watch some of the rotation that McKay and murdocca did back then to suck players in and allow them to play between the lines to broich and berisha.

How many times McKay ends up at left back, the LB high and broich drifting inside from the left into the vacated midfield area because the opposing CM pressed to track McKay is crazy.

We don’t have the players to carry out the game plan we seem to be employing at the moment.

The other thing McKay had was a leader with a nasty streak. He was a guy capable of a big hit and grabbing a game to swing it for his team. We don’t have that.

Mitch Nicholls before the drugs was actually a decent player.

Pffft. Agree to disagree on the hunger in the pressing. There was absolutely hunger there until the midweek games in high humidity caught up. Insulting to the players imo.

Agree on needing to finish. It’s been the chief reason we’re not won most of our games. Had to chase games and become ever more exposed or the players have become over eager in pressing or pushing up the park because we’re dominating and know we should have scored and now the press gets caught out and we’re exposed.

Most pundits and coaches seem to be seeing this, but not many CCM fans.

Simply not true to say we always always give it straight back. We’re giving away far too much ball with shit passes from the backs but our possession stats tell a very different story when it comes to possession.

Harper overhyped everyone. Even Broich. that shouldn’t be a controversial statement. League has moved on imo, and if Broich in his prime was playing against Tulio - it’d be a different story.
Agree on the M&M rotation. Have watched it plenty. I think Niz and Max are as good or better
( though sadly also can’t score to save their life it seems)

I have concerns about squads quality to execute any particular game plan. But the current game plan had been working well if players just took their gilt edge chances, or picked out a man with their final balls and made good decisions. Forwards have been atrocious.

And as they say, no plan survives contact with the enemy. Typically once we’ve failed to take our chances, our opponents have then gotten one chance to our three, scored and then we chase and risk becoming ever more exposed. And then… tired from mid week fixtures, with only have sparse quality or inexperienced players to bring on, we can’t turn it back around.

The game plan isn’t for strikers to miss their chances, forwards to shoot when they should pass or blaze crossed over everyone or hit the first man. Do that and it makes zero difference what formation or system you’re playing.

But I must live in an alternate universe. Because it seems crystal clear to me watching games,

Last edited:

Spacks

Yeah they're missing absolutely sitters, shooting from outside the box or just getting their feet all tangled up.

Hopefully they pull themselves together this week after a decent break.

FFC Mariner

Though I’m not ready to ditch Mj yet. I think you’re probably nanny on with the rest unfortunately. Just hoping at least a couple of those players can prove you wrong.

But this is the thing… if the squad that Monty put together and Jackson walked into so late is weak, why are you so convinced he’s clueless and not a good coach?
His record as a senior coach - added to his eagerness to blame everyone else for our results.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred