• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

tokyo 2020

turbo

Please tell me we aren't in for D'agostino.
Not sure where our next international quality striker is coming from tbh.
Going to WU apparently. I would have been happy to take him and don’t think I’ve ever seen him play so badly in the A league. Whether it was a product of instruction, system or opposition I’m not sure though.

Some interesting young players coming through so I’m optimistic for future campaigns but this was a missed opportunity.

booney

It was a tough group but Arnie made some strange decisions.In the game against Spain probably should have used subs earlier especially as we had so many players on yellows.Wales starting all three games-he did not do much apart from the well taken goal in Argentine game.Genreau was only so so in first game and totally useless in the second game so Baccus or Devlin should have started against the Egyptians.

Arzani should have started instead of Pierias who looked out of his depth.Deng was lost at RB but choices were limited so it was what it was.Pierias would have fared no better.

Bringing on that JRB as a striker was panic stations.Was Piscopo not fit to play-if he was he would have been a better choice even though not a striker.

Forum Phoenix

It was a tough group but Arnie made some strange decisions.In the game against Spain probably should have used subs earlier especially as we had so many players on yellows.Wales starting all three games-he did not do much apart from the well taken goal in Argentine game.Genreau was only so so in first game and totally useless in the second game so Baccus or Devlin should have started against the Egyptians.

Arzani should have started instead of Pierias who looked out of his depth.Deng was lost at RB but choices were limited so it was what it was.Pierias would have fared no better.

Bringing on that JRB as a striker was panic stations.Was Piscopo not fit to play-if he was he would have been a better choice even though not a striker.

Strongly agree with all of this. But we also play so much better when we play to our nature and be braver (and faster) like we did against Argie and when we went one down against the Egyptians. We just don't have the defensive skills of European teams to sit and hold and absorb pressure fro ninety minutes. Nor do we have the attacking flair of south American sides to go at other sides all game.

I really don't think the approach to game two or three, especially in light of game one, was true to what Arnie preached leading in, and what really seemed to his credit to get the most out of our players. Instead it felt like he changed once his rhetoric of 'we're going to shock the world' actually looked like it might come true.

Big Al

Strongly agree with all of this. But we also play so much better when we play to our nature and be braver (and faster) like we did against Argie and when we went one down against the Egyptians. We just don't have the defensive skills of European teams to sit and hold and absorb pressure fro ninety minutes. Nor do we have the attacking flair of south American sides to go at other sides all game.

I really don't think the approach to game two or three, especially in light of game one, was true to what Arnie preached leading in, and what really seemed to his credit to get the most out of our players. Instead it felt like he changed once his rhetoric of 'we're going to shock the world' actually looked like it might come true.
I do agree with its not our instinct but we were never going to out football those sides (maybe Egypt).
We caught the Argies on the break which was good but really the red cars protected the leas more than anything.

Our best players were our backs so ww actually played to our strength.

One amazing cross after a superstar had to much time broke a very strong defence and that point would have got us through. I don’t think we were wrong in our plan.

Then Eygpt had a few half chances but Suttor should have slide tackled and broke the play up but he is to big and couldn’t get down.

Our attack late was more Egypt protecting the lead than great play.

Our middle had no control in any game and made way to many bad passes. So did our forwards.

Maybe that says you were correct they couldn’t do it for 90mins Greek style against quality opponents but we also came extremely close to pulling it off.

No one in our front 3 played well over the 3 games. Tilio was great for 2 minutes and Arzani did a lot of good work in his own half and about 15mins against Egypt.

Our attack was weak which is disappointing.

I think Arnie did a lot wrong with team selection incl squad but i don’t think the game plans were wrong for tournament football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred