• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFC U23 Asian Cup

Big Al

I’m trying to work out if it was the Agent U23 cup or we just don’t make good attackers or bad coaching or all of the above

The more I think about it is seems like a few players might have been more interested in how they looked then how the team performed.

Now the one or two players not needing to impress like Koul were more frustrated with the hog mentally of the supply chain as they were determined to go it alone and a pass was a last resort. I’d say it would be lucky to be 5 times the whole tournament Koul was given a pass that went to or even near him.

Najjerine and Brook in particular were trying to beat everything in front of them and had no idea how to play a team game.

They looked a good flowing team in the first half of the first game but as the tournament went on they were predictable and very hoggy.

As the opposition went up in class we went backwards.

Then there is the finishing. Saudi Arabia and Japan get one chance and bury brilliant strikes. We go all A League and spray them everywhere but near the goals.

What started out as a promising tournament turned into how are we going to compete at Socceroos level in the next 5 years

A lot of work to do.

JoyfulPenguin

I’m trying to work out if it was the Agent U23 cup or we just don’t make good attackers or bad coaching or all of the above

The more I think about it is seems like a few players might have been more interested in how they looked then how the team performed.

Now the one or two players not needing to impress like Koul were more frustrated with the hog mentally of the supply chain as they were determined to go it alone and a pass was a last resort. I’d say it would be lucky to be 5 times the whole tournament Koul was given a pass that went to or even near him.

Najjerine and Brook in particular were trying to beat everything in front of them and had no idea how to play a team game.

They looked a good flowing team in the first half of the first game but as the tournament went on they were predictable and very hoggy.

As the opposition went up in class we went backwards.

Then there is the finishing. Saudi Arabia and Japan get one chance and bury brilliant strikes. We go all A League and spray them everywhere but near the goals.

What started out as a promising tournament turned into how are we going to compete at Socceroos level in the next 5 years

A lot of work to do.
Watching Japan vs South Korea they were on a whole other level. Beautiful flowing football and took every chance available to them.

That being said this group were a class above their previous two U23 generations. Much calmer and forward thinking and knew what to do when Plan A didn't work.

While this generation isn't perfect it's at least showing we are going in the right direction. That's a big shift, considering at least in match winning terms we went essentially backwards since moving to Asia and the A-League starting.

Ozhammer

Our boys did ok but I often thought that they looked like 11 individuals and weren’t a cohesive team. Maybe that’s a product of pulling players from differing leagues and not enough preparation but I feel there is more to it than that.

Australian National teams always look more convincing when they take the game to their opposition imho. Sure, that’s a high risk strategy but it also equally holds the prospect of high reward. When we try to play cagey, conservative football, we more often than not get beaten. We would of course need the players to execute an up tempo style but the more we do it the more effective we should get.

He who dares wins.

JoyfulPenguin

Our boys did ok but I often thought that they looked like 11 individuals and weren’t a cohesive team. Maybe that’s a product of pulling players from differing leagues and not enough preparation but I feel there is more to it than that.

Australian National teams always look more convincing when they take the game to their opposition imho. Sure, that’s a high risk strategy but it also equally holds the prospect of high reward. When we try to play cagey, conservative football, we more often than not get beaten. We would of course need the players to execute an up tempo style but the more we do it the more effective we should get.

He who dares wins.
Wholeheartedly agree OzHammer, it isn't in Australian football culture to play that way. Having basically never had promotion and relegation bred that into us, as well as the influence of Aussie rules and Rugby.

Even teams getting thumped in the A-League don't play conservatively.

We also don't have the super clubs that other leagues have, we don't have that dynamic where the minnows go in expecting to lose, anyone can beat anyone.

Expecting our teams to play conservatively goes against our whole footballing ethos. It's not surprising that we lose when we try do something that alien.

Ange Postecoglou always talked about playing the "Australian" way. It's on show every week in the A-League.

All the foreigners that come here are shocked by it when they first arrive. We play at a frenetic up tempo pace that often takes visa players at least half a season to adjust to.

Playing the "Australian" way is a good thing and we should foster it. Not import styles that are outdated by the time they get here anyway.

turbo

Yep two of the most frustrating players of the team and were given heaps of minutes. Clear bias towards some players and this impacted the flow of the team.
Coach playing his favourites even when they didn’t pull their weight. Thought we could do the same when we started hitting better opponents and we hit the wall hard. Biased but how isn’t Nisbet a locked in starter?

JoyfulPenguin

Coach playing his favourites even when they didn’t pull their weight. Thought we could do the same when we started hitting better opponents and we hit the wall hard. Biased but how isn’t Nisbet a locked in starter?
Favourites were definetly played but Nisbet wasn't great against Turkmenistan so I can kind of understand why he didn't start. Don't know what Farrell did to not get more of an opportunity though, looked good when given a chance.

booney

In the play off game our boys looked very disjointed and slow compared to their Japanese opponents.in the second half Miller and Peupion who came on as subs sparked a bit of a fightback but the defence was too well organised.

As someone said in another post Nisbet is the new boy and the coach and other players don't trust his capabilities as most apart from Miller,Najarine,Bos,Yengi and Rawlins are not A-league players and don't appreciate him.Of course Alou Kuol has played with him but Nizzy was playing a different role then.

pjennings

Favourites were definetly played but Nisbet wasn't great against Turkmenistan so I can kind of understand why he didn't start. Don't know what Farrell did to not get more of an opportunity though, looked good when given a chance.

I found that Nisbet seemed to be shunned. People would pass all around him. Miller would use him and Alou made some runs off him but the rest avoided him. Was it because they didn't trust him or because they thought he would show them up.

Ozhammer

I found that Nisbet seemed to be shunned. People would pass all around him. Miller would use him and Alou made some runs off him but the rest avoided him. Was it because they didn't trust him or because they thought he would show them up.
Probably says more about the individuality issues within that team, that is too many were about showcasing themselves over working for the team.

Last edited:

Allreet?

Probably say more about the individuality issues within that team, that’s is too many were about showcasing themselves over working for the team.
You'd think that would be exactly the behaviour the coach would be warning against and punishing.

Was the coach involved in his selection? You'd almost suspect not given his lack of minutes.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Did the Aussie boss attend the same coaching course as Okon and millitec (or however you spell it) cause it looked like it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami