• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ALM Round 4 - Mariners v Roar 5pm Sunday 12th

turbo

The last 30 minutes were a team that had completely collapsed. No shape, no coherent plan.
Roar were winning away and down a man. They were always going to sit deep and narrow.
Poor game management on and off the pitch.
I felt like I at least saw a plan in the first 60. In the last part of the game it was more try anything and see what sticks. Would have been nice if Danny nodded one in.

Quirky

If any part of the ball is above the line it's not out. From everything we have seen it looks close but its not clearly out. Maybe the VAR had a better view maybe they didn't. I believe Kaltak thought it was out but how much faith do you have in his judgement at that exact moment? Of course he is going to appeal for it being out but we can't stop because of it. Just like you can't stop when there's an offside because there's a chance you're wrong.
Exactly this. To stop is criminal. Nobody can definitively say that ball was out, but you keep going either way.

JackMariner

If any part of the ball is above the line it's not out. From everything we have seen it looks close but its not clearly out. Maybe the VAR had a better view maybe they didn't. I believe Kaltak thought it was out but how much faith do you have in his judgement at that exact moment? Of course he is going to appeal for it being out but we can't stop because of it. Just like you can't stop when there's an offside because there's a chance you're wrong.
I would put the slowed animation clip I created but it seems video is no longer permitted. Sorry but I cannot see in all the footage the ball being above the ground, look at the replay on Paramount.

turbo

I would put the slowed animation clip I created but it seems video is no longer permitted. Sorry but I cannot see in all the footage the ball being above the ground, look at the replay on Paramount.
It's all a matter of perspective. Place a ball with an edge just above a line then walk around it and see how different it can look. The angle we have isnt great but if anything suggests it stayed in just.

This comes up semi regularly all over the world. Happened recently in the WC and in a Newcastle game.

Dont forget this gem from the vault

Insertnamehere

Yep, 1000% this. This was the common thought amongst us up in Bay 16. Brisbane continually had these pockets of space in the middle just outside the box which Berenguer and others exploited. Last season, Maxi or Nis were both able to deal with this more effectively. It feels like Jacko's press at all costs means these spaces for the opposition are easier to come by when they are in transition.
We aren't even pressing well. Certainly not at all costs.

Insertnamehere

The other thing I just remembered was the wingers aren't defending the wing. Faz and Roux are so that opens space.
Last yeah we'd have a 4 man line of defenders and the mids did the man on man defending.

marinermick

It's all a matter of perspective. Place a ball with an edge just above a line then walk around it and see how different it can look. The angle we have isnt great but if anything suggests it stayed in just.

This comes up semi regularly all over the world. Happened recently in the WC and in a Newcastle game.

Dont forget this gem from the vault

You are a hundred percent correct. If the ball was square there would be no argument, but the ball is a sphere.

Even if none of the ball touches the line on the ground and looks over the line, it can still to be in.

The ball looked close enough to the line to obviously be in.

If Kaltak stopped that is on Kaltak.

turbo

If Kaltak stopped that is on Kaltak.
Check it out on the mini match. Around 18:45 match clock or 5:40 into the mini. Kaltak stops and doesnt even throw a leg out at the ball. Max stops and doesnt track his man who scored so he's had a shocker there too but at least he stuck a leg out late. In the lead up they have 3 on 2 out wide and there's some real sloppiness in the structure with how Storm, Theo and Max react which leads to Kaltak being the one to come across and make the challenge.

marinermick

Check it out on the mini match. Around 18:45 match clock or 5:40 into the mini. Kaltak stops and doesnt even throw a leg out at the ball. Max stops and doesnt track his man who scored so he's had a shocker there too but at least he stuck a leg out late. In the lead up they have 3 on 2 out wide and there's some real sloppiness in the structure with how Storm, Theo and Max react which leads to Kaltak being the one to come across and make the challenge.

Your under fives coach tells you to play to the whistle.

Allreet?

Really? What can you do when VAR fails you. I did this with a 20 year old video program what hope do we have when a glaringly bad decision is thrust upon us with all the supposed technology A - League has. There is more to this, what's the saying "Something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark". Here also is Brian giving up defence knowing full well, the ball had touched ground behind the line and expecting a correct adjudication. Oh, and the refereeing, I was so impressed I left at 70 mins, walked home 6klm to vent, because if I had stayed I would have been turfed out for bringing the game into disrepute.
The ball's not out. The whole of the ball has to cross the whole of the line, and given footballs are spherical the centre of the ball could be over by nearly six inches before it's actually out.

pjennings

The ball's not out. The whole of the ball has to cross the whole of the line, and given footballs are spherical the centre of the ball could be over by nearly six inches before it's actually out.
That's all very well. But when you don't have a camera on the line then you have no way to tell. It is purely up to the AR. He didn't call it out. VAR isn't set up to categorically say one way or the other so the AR's decision must stand.

PLAY THE WHISTLE!!!!

Allreet?

That's all very well. But when you don't have a camera on the line then you have no way to tell. It is purely up to the AR. He didn't call it out. VAR isn't set up to categorically say one way or the other so the AR's decision must stand.

PLAY THE WHISTLE!!!!
Couldn't agree more.

Forum Phoenix

Talking on the press...

I think it can be a good choice for such a young side. But everything is pros and cons and like anything, takes time and practice. One player fails to read the play and close down at the right time and suddenly you've got multiple players caught high who are going to have to work hard to get back and the opposition has plenty of space to run into. Or just shitty bounces off shins or ricochets when your closing down that then fall nicely to the opposition can hurt you too. We've certainly seen our share land perfectly at the oppositions feet. Starting to think we used all of our luck in the GF.

I'm sure there'd be plenty of complaints if we were sitting deep, getting pumped in the shots on goals, possession and territory stats too.

I do think Danny isn't the ideal keeper for this tactic as he hardly ever sweeps. Our backs are also clearly getting caught too high at times and can leave slower defenders like Storm or Niz exposed. Also Paull is young and his positioning to cut out balls is nowhere near as good as most experienced AL CB's yet imo. Being fresh also is important... but we were standing off a lot more last game, I presumed it was instructed/a necessity to help conserve some energy for heavy legs.

That said, personally I think there's plenty to like about it too. And I'm sure we'll improve too as they haven't had that long with it and have also been forced into a lot of rotation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred