• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ALM Round 4 - Mariners v Roar 5pm Sunday 12th

Ozhammer

That's all very well. But when you don't have a camera on the line then you have no way to tell. It is purely up to the AR. He didn't call it out. VAR isn't set up to categorically say one way or the other so the AR's decision must stand.

PLAY THE WHISTLE!!!!
That’s all well and good but did you see where the AR’s was actually positioned at that point of play? They were at least 3-4 metres upfield of Brian, so had no way to view the actual ball position.

So that’s poor officiating and as P- only have three cameras and a potato at most games, I very much doubt the tv coverage angles were sufficiently useful to help man boobs come to a clear decision in the VAR booth.

The APL could of course show a detailed image and settle the was it in or out debate but I for one won’t be holding my breath.

Last edited:

pjennings

That’s all well and good but did you see where the AR’s was actually positioned at that point of play? They were at least 3-4 metres upfield of Brian, so had no way to view the actual ball position.

So that’s poor officiating and as P- only have three cameras and a potato at most games, I very much doubt the tv coverage angles were sufficiently useful to help man boobs come to a clear decision in the VAR booth.

The APL could course show a detailed image and settle the was it in or out debate but I for one won’t be holding my breath.
But we all know that the number of cameras has been cut dramatically. More of a reason to play the whistle - even if you think you are sure. You can't count on the AR being in the right position or even getting it right. In another example the AR could be perfectly positioned but unsighted by players that have run past the goal line. Cameras are needed down each line touchline and goal line.

Kilsin

Watching the replay again, you see Brian, Danny and Balard all put their hands up at the same time. Brian and Danny were standing on the line and had the best view, so while I understand the optical illusion, I tend to believe the instant reaction from two of the players who were right on the line and watching live as they also know the rules of the whole ball needing to be over the line and out.

That said, they should have still played the bloody whistle...

Allreet?

Watching the replay again, you see Brian, Danny and Balard all put their hands up at the same time. Brian and Danny were standing on the line and had the best view, so while I understand the optical illusion, I tend to believe the instant reaction from two of the players who were right on the line and watching live as they also know the rules of the whole ball needing to be over the line and out.

I don't know that all players know all the rules.

Certainly ex players on telly frequently air their ignorance over the LOTG.

FFC Mariner

Firstly. The ball was in.
Second, the real error was the wide gap between Storm and the CB that allowed the run. Happened over and over again and it's Monty 2.0 from Roar so shouldn't come as a surprise.
Blaming officials is not the answer. This is basic tactical awareness that is coaching and training.
Jackson needs to take responsibility and stop the finger pointing.

Last edited:

JackMariner

That's all very well. But when you don't have a camera on the line then you have no way to tell. It is purely up to the AR. He didn't call it out. VAR isn't set up to categorically say one way or the other so the AR's decision must stand.

PLAY THE WHISTLE!!!!

If any part of the ball is above the line it's not out. From everything we have seen it looks close but its not clearly out. Maybe the VAR had a better view maybe they didn't. I believe Kaltak thought it was out but how much faith do you have in his judgement at that exact moment? Of course he is going to appeal for it being out but we can't stop because of it. Just like you can't stop when there's an offside because there's a chance you're wrong. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfbC5g0OWBvXJD0lZE_D5hg

Attachments

• in and out of play.jpg
    in and out of play.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 19
  • in and out of play2.jpg
    in and out of play2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Melange

The APL could course show a detailed image and settle the was it in or out debate but I for one won’t be holding my breath.
On the telecast they did show an image of a line drawn across the field, same as the lines they draw for offside calls, which gives the impression they have the technology available to accurately prove whether the ball was outside or in.

turbo

There is no way Ballard had a clear view of whether it was just in or out. He went with the other two.

On the telecast they did show an image of a line drawn across the field, same as the lines they draw for offside calls, which gives the impression they have the technology available to accurately prove whether the ball was outside or in.
The margin of error on that vs the naked eye would be interesting. I would be surprised if the margin was much more than 1-2cm even using that camera angle. Compare that to a player who is running around, should be watching the player too and doesn’t have the benefit of freezing the frame it’s hard to imagine the player would be more accurate over a decent sample.

Lucky boy
Perhaps that’s where mitigating factors like being pulled back are considered. If I’m the club I’m absolutely arguing that angle, minimal severity etc

Stuartmcateer

So that’s poor officiating
What is he going to call even if he is on the line?

He was on the far side of the field. There was a goal net/posts plus several players in between him and the ball.

The only role he has there is to adjudge offside (miles onside) and anything else that comes into his view.

What’s more concerning is we are 8v4 around the box when he cuts the ball back and max has no idea where he is being outside both the Brisbane players and the near post.

Kilsin

I don't know that all players know all the rules.

Certainly ex players on telly frequently air their ignorance over the LOTG.
Maybe for Balard and Kaltak...

You'd think that Danny, with decades of goal-keeping experience and astute knowledge of the goal boundaries, would be aware that the ball crossing the goal line fully would result in a goal, and I'd expect he would know the same applies to all the lines, yeah?

Kilsin

There is no way Ballard had a clear view of whether it was just in or out. He went with the other two.

The margin of error on that vs the naked eye would be interesting. I would be surprised if the margin was much more than 1-2cm even using that camera angle. Compare that to a player who is running around, should be watching the player too and doesn’t have the benefit of freezing the frame it’s hard to imagine the player would be more accurate over a decent sample.

Perhaps that’s where mitigating factors like being pulled back are considered. If I’m the club I’m absolutely arguing that angle, minimal severity etc
I agree, only Brian and Danny had crystal clear views and both went up immediately and at the same time, which suggests they saw it go out. Danny would have a better view considering Brian is focussed on the man, Danny could watch the ball.

Wombat

The cheapskates at APL don’t even give the winner a replica trophy for their cabinet, so clubs have to fork out $23k for their own! :mad:
373700028_775337397930621_1226908887300176028_n.jpg

Its a bit dinged up. I'd be seeking a $22,000 discount.

Coastalraider

Haha!!

I love this commentary that ‘the players put up their hands so it must have been out’…

Every experienced player throws their hands up when a borderline decision is being made, accurate or not. It’s to try and influence the decision, not because they are necessarily right. That’s the furthest thing from a clear indication as you can get!

Arguably, the clearer cut decisions, like fouls get the most ‘salt and pepper’ from players to downgrade the serious less.

There is one overarching factor here… play the whistle. Whether it was in or out, we will never know definitively, but one thing is certain - no whistle went.

Last edited:

Kilsin

Haha!!

I love this commentary that ‘the players put up their hands so it must have been out’…

Every experienced player throws their hands up when a borderline decision is being made, accurate or not. It’s to try and influence the decision, not because they are necessarily right. That’s the furthest thing from a clear indication as you can get!

Arguably, the clearer cut decisions, like fouls get the most ‘salt and pepper’ from players to downgrade the serious less.

There is one overarching factor here… play the whistle. Whether it was in or out, we will never know definitively, but one thing is certain - no whistle went.
100% - I played CB for close to 20 years and did it too but from my experience and in my opinion, it just seemed too synchronised from three players with others that were watching and switched off for it to be a bit of shenanigans to get one over the other team and the ref.

It's just funny to see people on here speak with such certainty when no one actually knows...

Anyway, as I said, no one knows for sure. The ref didn't call it, and our guys switched off and let a goal in. That's on us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred