• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Australian Football Stuff - not worthy of a thread

StensnessGOAT

Don’t get me started on NZ teams. APL truely have no idea. I fear for this league, could be dead when P- contract finishes.
Yeah, I’m not sure if this is what you’re saying but I personally am in the minority opinion of not really thinking Wellington Phoenix should even be in the league, let alone another one. Like I get that now they are in it’s tough to kick them out, but why would we have a New Zealand based team in the Australian league? Let alone two. It’s the Australian league and is trying to grow the game in Australia. Why would we base a team (or two!!) in another country when so many major Australian regions don’t have a team.

I mean NZ had two cracks before even Western Sydney FFS!

StensnessGOAT

Well the Canberra argument is moot if they’re in at the same time. Suspect the gong & tassie would be in line for second division but I would have liked to see Tas get a look in.

Im not anti NZ and that might make me an outlier here. It has some commercial benefits adding $$ from their side and allows us to leverage timezone differences to avoid local kick offs at shitty times - like 3pm in the middle of summer. Could run us into trouble with the AFC though and doubles the chances of a team qualifying for ACL that can’t go.
Even if Canberra is moot, the argument isn’t hahaha. Say Canberra gets the 13th license. Why would you put a second team in NZ when Tasmania and Wollongong don’t have a team? I’d put a second team in Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth before NZ. I’d give FNQ another go before NZ. Hell, I‘d add Coffs Cobras or Taree Tigers or Merimbula Magpies before another team in NZ!

Tassie and Wollongong should have first division sides ahead of NZ, not second division sides! The NSD is not gonna be the silver bullet for Australian football that everyone is making it out to be, just like Paramount+ was supposed to be the silver bullet and I was wrong for thinking we were better off on Foxtel/Kayo. At least that gave us half a chance of getting watched by the Aussie sports fan, putting games onto a streaming service no one has with no other sport that no one will buy just for the A-League was dumb as. The NSD will be the same, having a second tier will not randomly catch the imagination of the Australian sports fan if they’re not interested in the first tier. ? It’ll be like the VFL, except even worse off because the VFL gets crowds similar to the A-League. Or the Sheffield Shield/One Day Cup. Chucking Wollongong in there is pointless, might as well just keep playing NPL. They’re not gonna gather more following from Wollongong locals in NSD than they already do in NPL, they’d have to be in the A-League to do that. Only difference would be they play Perth/Melbourne/Brisbane/Adelaide based second tier sides instead of Sydney.

Don’t get me wrong I do want a second tier because that’s how this sport works, but it’s not gonna be the silver bullet for the sport in this country or basically do anything at all to grow the relevance of the A-League.

Gazza 13

The problem with A-League expansion for me is that with the more games the more rubbish kickoff times and we don't want to see games being played at 3:00 PM on a hot summers day like yesterday because people would rather be at the beach than a game of football

StensnessGOAT

Can someone remind me why everyone went all #savethenix way back when?

Save them for what? Having a NZ team is bizarre, let alone two. Imagine we killed them back then and replaced them with a Canberra or Wollongong or whoever and they were like 8 years deep into their A-League existence...

turbo

Tassie and Wollongong should have first division sides ahead of NZ, not second division sides!
In theory sure but do they have the means and backers for an A league team? NSD won’t be a silver bullet at all but will have a lower bar to entry. I don’t have much faith in it to be honest but we’re at a point where we either need to do it or move on to focus on a larger a league. If NSD isn’t viable then perhaps we should be looking at an 18 or 20 team A league in the long term.
We might have missed the boat on TAS with the afl set to give them a license at some point.

marinermick

In theory sure but do they have the means and backers for an A league team? NSD won’t be a silver bullet at all but will have a lower bar to entry. I don’t have much faith in it to be honest but we’re at a point where we either need to do it or move on to focus on a larger a league. If NSD isn’t viable then perhaps we should be looking at an 18 or 20 team A league in the long term.
We might have missed the boat on TAS with the afl set to give them a license at some point.

This is such an important point which is why my belief is that expansion should be done through a B league and then promotion. At least clubs would have proven themselves as ready by then.

Last edited:

marinermick

AFL has been dangling that carrot in front of them for years. Don’t think it will ever happen for the same reason we won’t have a NRL team on the Coast.

Melange

NZ entry to the league is a historical one. To get the (required) endorsement for us to leave Oceana and join the AFC we needed their vote. They gave it on the basis of ongoing Australian support for NZ football which, I believe, included an NZ team in the ALeague. A small price to pay for massive benefit.

StensnessGOAT

AFL has been dangling that carrot in front of them for years. Don’t think it will ever happen for the same reason we won’t have a NRL team on the Coast.
Nah it’s happening this time mate. I follow the AFL religiously, they’re really working to make it happen this time. Previously Tassie have always begged for a team and the AFL knocked it on the head. But this time everyone is really pushing towards it. AFL wants it to happen. It’ll get done.

turbo

Nah it’s happening this time mate. I follow the AFL religiously, they’re really working to make it happen this time. Previously Tassie have always begged for a team and the AFL knocked it on the head. But this time everyone is really pushing towards it. AFL wants it to happen. It’ll get done.
It sounds like they’ve noticed other codes actually wanting to move in and grab some government funding and decided to stamp that out.

marinermick

That’s what heard last time

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred