• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Chairman’s Letter Nov 2023

gemkayem

Dear Mariners Community,

It has been several months since my last message to you, and many things have changed at the club in the meantime, so the timing is right for another update.

Liberty A-League Women

Firstly, I hope you are all enjoying having a Liberty A-League Women team back on the coast. How exciting was the game last Sunday versus a very good Brisbane outfit? Incredible! Although we came away with one point instead of three, every person watching that game came away with a ‘win’ in their ‘entertainment value’ column. Thank you to all 3,500 that came along and supported the team live. To those that didn’t, you missed out big time! I hope you make it there this Saturday night to see for yourself how good our girls are going.

Apart from a nervous first half of our very first game, the squad’s performance, led by Emily Husband and her support crew, has been outstanding. When you consider that some of our best players like Kyah Simon and Casey Dumont are yet to take the pitch, we definitely look like being competitive in our first season back!

Thank you

On another positive note, I’d like to say a sincere and heartfelt ‘thank you’ to all the members and fans that have shared their well wishes and supportive comments to myself and others at the club recently, despite our tough start to the season. It means a lot and we deeply appreciate that many people still remember we delivered a Championship just six months ago. Although we are facing some challenges right now, we are focused on making the top six, to once again give us a shot at doing the seemingly impossible.

Financial Update

Throughout the offseason we proactively made significant changes to the business side of the club, and I’m very pleased to say that we’re in the best commercial position since this club's inception. We still have a long way to go to achieve financial sustainability though, so the entire corporate team are still working hard every day to grow our fanbase and unlock more partnerships to move us towards a secure long-term future.

Unfortunately, despite spending a substantial sum on advisors, retainers and marketing, so far I have not been able to find an investor to join me to form a long-term partnership committed to youth development and keeping the club on the coast. I haven’t given up hope and in fact we are now taking a different approach, trying to find several smaller investors to form an ‘ownership group’ to share the cost while we build the Mariners into a self-sustaining business model. In the meantime, please continue your efforts to get as many fans supporting our club as you can. Every single membership sold helps massively. It helps financially, but just as importantly, it shows potential investors that the people of the Central Coast want their football team to remain on the coast!

Setting the Record Straight

I’d like to address some of the commentary and feedback I’ve heard circulating the club in relation to our Isuzu UTE A-Leagues team’s start to the season. Here are some facts:

- We were obviously keen to keep Nick Montgomery for one more season and offered him a very significant increase in remuneration for the 23/24 financial year. Despite this, in the end Nick decided it was time to challenge himself in Europe. We respect his decision and sincerely wish him well.

- Last season’s Championship was not the result of a ‘one-year successful sprint’. It took four years of hard work by Monty and Serg both in the academy space and then in the first team environment to win the Championship. There were many others like Anton Tagliaferro and Shaun Mielekamp who worked tirelessly behind the scenes over that four-year period that also contributed greatly to the Championship.

Championships are not delivered in one season. Australian legend Mark Viduka played 17 seasons of club football and won only four Championships. That doesn’t mean the other 13 seasons were a waste, or were poor, or were necessarily worthy of criticism, it just means that his team didn’t have all the pieces they needed to be the best in those years.

- We did not want to lose as many players as we did in the off-season. In particular, I hoped to keep McGarry, Nkololo and Silvera (if you ask Sammy how many times I urged him to stay, he’ll tell you it was a lot!). The money we actually receive in the club’s pocket from these transfers after everyone takes their cut is nowhere near what people are reporting, and specifically in the case of these players, I would take them wearing our shirt for one more season over the money received every day of the week.

- In Silvera, Cummings and Nkololo we lost 36 goals and 14 assists a season when they left the club. Candidly, we haven’t managed to replace this, yet. But people have to understand that some of our replacements have not been playing regular football for the last two years, so they need to be given time to find the form we all know they are capable of. I think we all saw glimpses of what Alou will bring to the club long term from his performance against Brisbane.

- Mark Jackson was appointed by a panel of myself, Matt Simon and Anton Tagliaferro. We were unanimous in our decision, which was based on the merits of his playing career, his success working on a daily basis with coaches like Marcelo Bielsa and Jesse Marsch, and most importantly, his exceptional pedigree of youth development over the seven years he was at Leeds United. For example, Crysencio Summerville, Sam Greenwood and England u/21 International Charlie Cresswell are just three out of over 25 players currently playing professionally in the UK to have come out of Jacko’s program! He is the hardest working coach Matt Simon has ever encountered. We are fully confident in our decision, Mark just needs time to mould a squad that will fit his playing demands and style.

- Our poor start this season did not coincide with the arrival of the current coaching staff. We in fact did not beat any A-Leagues clubs in preseason, even before the previous coaching team left. Championship ‘hangover’ associated with a young squad, coupled with the loss of so many players, are in my view the reasons for our poor start, not the coaching changes.

- Excluding the performance against Macarthur FC, we have been competitive this season before injuries and red cards have come into play. Playing in Asia and Australia simultaneously is tough, especially at the beginning. The history of Australian teams competing in Asia shows that Aussie clubs, especially those with young teams, do not perform well in both competitions in the first year. Our squad is still learning to deal with the demands of the increased workload. To give you an example of what you don’t see, last Wednesday’s conditions in Bali were described by Vuka as the toughest he has encountered in his twenty-year career. Following that match, the team didn’t arrive back on the coast until late Friday afternoon, they trained Saturday, then put in what most of us would objectively describe as a good performance versus the Roar. The GPS numbers of some of the players (particularly Storm) were unbelievable. We will get better as the season goes on at dealing with the higher demands, and with the prize money available in the AFC Cup (which is essential for a small club like the Mariners), we hope to go a long way in this competition.

I’ll be the first to acknowledge that losing our first four games of the season is disappointing, but we will be active within our means, just as we were last season, in attempting to strengthen our squad during the January window. In the meantime, I respectfully ask that we all give the new coaches and players time, we desperately need you all to keep supporting the club despite our start.

We are still the same low budget club fighting hard to compete with the deeper pocketed rivals, and despite our best efforts, we will inevitably have good, great and unfortunately frustrating periods. We need your support through all three phases!

Thank you for your time reading this message, I look forward to seeing you all at our next home game.

Yours faithfully,

Rich Peil

Kilsin

Yeah, I wasn't worried about the rough start, but the "keeping us on the coast" bit made me sit back and raise an eyebrow. I thought we'd dealt with that shit but apparently not.

It is still looming due to Rich and Mike's agreement or something else, does anyone know?

Meerkat

Nope. I’ve tried and I’m not sold on his email at all. Never a fan of a Leader / Manager who can’t actually take responsibility for a situation. To me, his email reads..

“I tried to keep Montgomery*.. not my fault.

“I tried to keep players”… not my fault.

“I’ve tried to find an investor”.. not my fault.

“We couldn’t win a single game in pre-season either”.. not our fault.

“We have been competitive in every game but MacArthur but we had injuries and red cards.” .. not our fault.

“We have a championship hangover and the players are young etc etc”.. not our fault.

Seriously, may not be his intention but this is how it reads. Its a long letter telling fans that none of it is his fault and PS can we still encourage people to get memberships?

I 100% read the “keep the youth development and Club on the coast” as a threat. He’s telling us that if we don’t get bums on seats, drive the membership and make the club financially sustainable, he will sell it to someone who doesn’t give a shit where it is. I don’t know how he EVER thought this was going to be a financially beneficial venture for him, I really don’t. But it’s “not his fault” again, that we don’t have enough investors and when he does decide to offload us he will surely have done everything he possible can! NOT HIS FAULT. ?

About the only thing I agree with on is that it’s unlikely to be all Jacko’s fault but still, as a Coach he needs to look at where he fits into this problem and how he’s going to fix it.

Finally, January window is a long way away buddy in Aleague terms.. most fans won’t have that much patience and the vast majority won’t care to read an email full of crap from the owner.

Meerkat

Trouble with sending a comm like this is you leave yourself nowhere to go.
What does he do to follow up if nothing changes.
Own the problem you are responsible for.
Exactly.

First rule of ownership / management is working out where in this situation you fit in.. as part of the problem.. not the one for whom it’s NOT YOUR FAULT!

SO EASY to blame everyone and everyone else.. but what’s that achieving?

Bloody well own it and invest your energy into fixing it, not write a lengthy email abdicating yourself of any responsibility / wrong doing.

Spacks

Just put a release clause in each players contract. But with correct valuations on each player. For instance when we signed jason id have put a release clause of atleast a Mil and Sammy silver atleast 500k. 750k for triantis. 2.25m mill from 3 players ez.

Tevor

Just put a release clause in each players contract. But with correct valuations on each player. For instance when we signed jason id have put a release clause of atleast a Mil and Sammy silver atleast 500k. 750k for triantis. 2.25m mill from 3 players ez.
Yeah but he whinges it’s not enough.

Michael

Think you blokes are overreacting abit

He merely stated what happened when the players and staff left. At what point isn’t it his fault when they all wanted to leave for a better level or better money? What more could rich have done in that scenario? We’re a develop and sell club after all, the scenario we’re living right now was always a massive possibility of happening sooner or later. He’s literally said he didn’t want to lose so many so quickly. What’s wrong with that? It’s a simple fact? He offered better contracts for one more year. They didn’t want it. And that’s fine.

I see him taking responsibility with this email whilst also asking certain fans to calm down (which is very f**king true, many need to chill). Doubts about the coach have entered my mind too, but I’m trying to sit back and see what unfolds. Instead of fear mongering.

The main point above anything else i took from it is he’s now made a statement that he’s standing by Jacko and where possible will give him resources in January.
Obviously that could change if nothing improves in the league, I hope it doesn’t, not because I’m a Jacko fan boy but because any change of coach for our club mid season is literally season over at that point.

Michael

They did do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred