• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Chairman’s Letter Nov 2023

shipwreck

Seems like a pretty good tactic to me.

Speak about the woes, casually make a reference to how it could be much worse, losing 4 games in a row doesn't seem so bad compared to losing your club all together right?

booney

I did not regard the tone or words of that letter threatening at all.Maybe too many people looking for hidden meanings-a bit like the Covid conspiracy mob.I simply saw it as an explanation of how things stand at the moment with player and coach movements and the position of the club's financial position.

He may have penned the letter because of many fans' disquiet about the less than stellar start to the season and was trying to reassure them that things will stabilise and the team is aiming to make the finals.I have been around football for a long time and know all teams go through ups and downs.

Tevor

They say the best way to become a millionaire is to start as a billionaire and buy a football club ??‍♂️
Flawed business plan then. What concerns me is Peil wants transfers every season and I think the minimum amount is $800k. To get that this season means more of our performing players leaving such as Faz, Niz, Balard and Tulio. More than half the current team based on form wouldn't get interest from NPL teams let alone OS. Pretty hard to see a bright future when there isn't much coming through at the moment and it seems inevitable some of our well performing main stays are probably not far from leaving. We talk about gaining players in Jan, we could lose some as well. Interesting times in deed.

Stuartmcateer

Flawed business plan then.
Nature of the beast.

Football clubs are play toys of the rich who don’t mind taking losses rather than sustainable businesses. Especially in a low tier league that is not the major sport in the country.

Look at how much money the biggest of the big clubs in the world lose every year - a league clubs will never turn a profit.

Meerkat

engine we
Seems like a pretty good tactic to me.

Speak about the woes, casually make a reference to how it could be much worse, losing 4 games in a row doesn't seem so bad compared to losing your club all together right?
It was hardly a threat
Last thing I’m going to say on the topic, lest I be burned at stake as the devils spawn, but yes.. it’s 100% a threat.. not outright no, but what he is absolutely doing is setting the scene and covering all his bases, so that when the time inevitably comes that he sells the Club, to whoever, he will absolutely be saying .. “not like I didn’t warn you it could happen. Tried all these things.. didn’t work. Sorry.”

Call me negative all you like but if seriously, you can’t see that.. ?‍♀️

To be clear, I’m not saying he’s a bad person .. but he is a businessman.

We will see, huh.

Last edited:

Corsair

"We are still the same low budget club fighting hard to compete with the deeper pocketed rivals, and despite our best efforts, we will inevitably have good, great and unfortunately frustrating periods. We need your support through all three phases!"

That was all he really needed to say.

This letter says to me the new coaching staff get a pass this season no matter what happens.

Where I think there is a disconnect is Rich thinking all those new and returned members this season will be here next season if this one goes to shit.

We aren't an English club with a large die hard fan base, the average on the fence fan in our community comes to games when we're winning.

In this email he's tied himself to Jackson's wagon. Between them they've blamed 0 points from 4 games on squad quality and depth, which is a "Monty did the recruiting" issue. Classic corporate positioning, you get a 3 month pass to blame the guy that just left

Well the manager that just left brought in and coached to success all those misfit players no one else wanted that you've just stated you didn't want to lose. McGarry, Sammy, Beni, JC. All those players were underperforming and needed a good manager and coach to bring them on. They weren't a hired in starting quality dream team.

Cummings was out on his arse before he came to us and stated publicly Monty turned his career around. I have no doubt Torres in particular would have blossomed under Monty. I could see in the players he picked the potential to be coached into significant improvement by the right Manager. Blaming the players for not being good enough is a sure way to demotivate a team.

With this rhetoric they've bought themselves some time.The proof of the pudding then will now be that Jan transfer window. If we don't see some significant signings we'll know this was all just lip service. At the end of the transfer window I don't want to hear "we had money to spend but couldn't find anyone".

In the meantime we can't be writing off the season until January, we still need to fight for every point or we'll be spooning.

As long as there is fight in the players they deserve our support.

Coastalraider

I guess a letter like this just fuels everyone’s confirmation bias.

I read it and the part that stuck out to me was that we will be looking to fox exposed issues in the January transfer window, and to me I took that as a great sign that recruiting missteps have been acknowledged and we will be active in the window.

Other look at the same letter, see the sky falling in and see our chairman is setting the scene to move the club.

FFC Mariner

But if we have no money what can he do in January? Free signings and NPL.
Neither of which are likely to hit the ground running.
Blaming the players isn't likely to help morale either.
Unless there is a high profile sale lined up for January
:popcorn:

ryan

It's easy to worry when the chairman starts talking about not finding someone to help keep the club on the coast. Feels like deja vu. 20000 to a home final followed by a Championship win and this talk resurfaces. It's very sad.

Ironbark

We won the championship last season on a low budget, by building up over several years through the academy and amazing coaching.

We haemorrhaged players and staff after the win - which was always on the cards and not the club or RPs fault. We get those players here with the promise that if an opportunity comes along we'll support them making the step up.

We are still a low budget team, full of youth, but basically starting again.

Specifically. Peil's comments were:
'the entire corporate team are still working hard every day to grow our fanbase and unlock more partnerships to move us towards a secure long-term future...
so far I have not been able to find an investor to join me to form a long-term partnership committed to youth development and keeping the club on the coast. I haven’t given up hope and in fact we are now taking a different approach, trying to find several smaller investors to form an ‘ownership group’ to share the cost while we build the Mariners into a self-sustaining business model.'

The above in bold is about not being able to find the right partner who shares these key goals. At no time does this letter imply that moving will be a consequence of any action of the fans, or that it is currently on the cards. If I were advising RP I would have told him not to mention those words as the irrational response would (and is) following due to the previous burns.

How this is a 'threat' is a stretch to even make sense.
The long bows drawn and disconnected logic for the conclusions people are coming to on this are simply head-scratching.

The cyclic nature of a salary-capped league, especially if you're at the bottom end of the financial ladder, is simply inevitable. This was always how it was going to go. It was surely clear we weren't going to be championship level year after year. Surely. But boy, the vitriol makes me think people can't see their own noses, let alone the obvious. This isn't bad management, it's how it goes. You don't have to love it. But turning into a Simpsons-style mob immediately is just weak.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred