• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Grand final baby - Our Parradise

Tevor

Didn't see the result coming. But I did expect the win. The slump was more a lack of bodies with sickness, suspension, NT duty, etc.once back on board we were the form team. Leckie, O'Neil and the Red headed goal scorer were there only threats
Its not always easy getting out of slumps, the Reds and Nix both slumped and couldn't get their mojo back. Although I think we were the main reason the Reds couldn't get out of their slump and maybe if they played some other teams than us three times a row it might have been different for them.

Under Staj and Monty in his first season we were pretty ordinary in finals and only made up the numbers after having pretty good seasons. felt very different coming into this finals series.

Insertnamehere

Its not always easy getting out of slumps, the Reds and Nix both slumped and couldn't get their mojo back. Although I think we were the main reason the Reds couldn't get out of their slump and maybe if they played some other teams than us three times a row it might have been different for them.

Under Staj and Monty in his first season we were pretty ordinary in finals and only made up the numbers after having pretty good seasons. felt very different coming into this finals series.
Gotta have a plan B, and not to do Plan A better.

MrCelery

I doubt no one on this forum saw that grand final result half way though the season. If they did it was just blind optimism at that stage.

I'll admit that I was not optimistic before the match, thinking that we were very good but City would swamp us with their squad and experience. Even at 2-1 I was still very nervous. At 3-1 I was more confident that we could do it. At 6-1 I was expecting a seventh!

Meerkat

What the coaching staff did was amazing for the whole squad. I doubt no one on this forum saw that grand final result half way though the season. If they did it was just blind optimism at that stage.
I had us written off halfway through. Mudgee made me think “hmm ok maybe” then we played Victory ?
I said many choice things that were largely unhelpful.

My biggest humble pie comes from Vuka.. @priorpeter was kind not to murder me in my sleep. I definitely turned on Kaltak that video with the printer softened me a lot ? then I was just proven flat out wrong from that day forward. Couldn’t love the guy more.

I also wrote off Beni and Storm early on.

Grand final hopes.. HAHAHA. That was me ?

Lessons learned from this season.. shut up. Trust the process. Have faith. I must say I have more faith currently than ever before.

pjennings

Didn't expect to win the first or second. Hoped for the one that never occurred. Expected the win for the last two. More emotional watching the replays this time because of the enormity of the win.Spoke to Vuka before the World Cup. He was primed and came back firing

TC Redline

Pretty much everyone on this forum was pro someone and anti someone else early in the season. I was pro Tulio and Sammy and anti Kaltak and Beni.

Happy to take humble pie for the latter but won’t gloat about the other two. That would be glass houses stuff.

What the coaching staff did was amazing for the whole squad. I doubt no one on this forum saw that grand final result half way though the season. If they did it was just blind optimism at that stage.
Pretty cool place this thread went and i think a key question here is did any player not improve under the coaching staff? Maybe Ruhs? then he left but significant improvement across the board out of everyone and maybe Hally is the only one and i wonder how much his late season injury last year affected him this year as he never seemed the same again.

Some players improved significantly (Roux who found his pre broken leg form or better, Danny after a really rusty start, Kaltak, Sammy , Tulio , Benny and Nectar to what we first saw) and then Nizzy has been sensational since taking over the Bozanic role, Ballard I‘ve always been super impressed with and then Faz has been exceptional since being thrust in and even coped unbelievably well when moved to central defence for these few middle of the season games . Even improvement in Cummings all round game was evident even though he was really our marque and the whole squad has improved significantly under this coaching staff which in my mind is where coaching / managing greatness lies which we were so lucky to witness.

I don't know why this popped in my head with coaching but if you look at the Grand Final stats the Mariners pretty much lost every stat other than shooting accuracy and of course the score and I wonder aloud if Paul Okon (Mr do Plan A better) was scratching his head wondering how a score like that could happen when only having 36% possession and if not for Glover could have been anything. Thanks goodness that period for the club feels so long ago now and we as a club moved onto plan B.

Last edited:

Big Al

Pretty cool place this thread went and i think a key question here is did any player not improve under the coaching staff? Maybe Ruhs? then he left but significant improvement across the board out of everyone and maybe Hally is the only one and i wonder how much his late season injury last year affected him this year as he never seemed the same again.

Some players improved significantly (Roux who found his pre broken leg form or better, Danny after a really rusty start, Kaltak, Sammy , Tulio , Benny and Nectar to what we first saw) and then Nizzy has been sensational since taking over the Bozanic role, Ballard I‘ve always been super impressed with and then Faz has been exceptional since being thrust in and even coped unbelievably well when moved to central defence for these few middle of the season games . Even improvement in Cummings all round game was evident even though he was really our marque and the whole squad has improved significantly under this coaching staff which in my mind is where coaching / managing greatness lies which we were so lucky to witness.

I don't know why this popped in my head with coaching but if you look at the Grand Final stats the Mariners pretty much lost every stat other than shooting accuracy and of course the score and I wonder aloud if Paul Okon (Mr do Plan A better) was scratching his head wondering how a score like that could happen when only having 36% possession and if not for Glover could have been anything. Thanks goodness that period for the club feels so long ago now and we as a club moved onto plan B.
? but also if you keep kicking off your time in possession is going to go up.

Your right only Hall had a drop off this year

Everyone had highs and lows but everyone finished on a high together.

Ancient Mariner

It was very noticeable that late in the season the proportion of chances turned into goals was significantly greater than earlier.
I suspect that came from greater confidence which allowed sensible choices being made in the box.
I am planning on watching the highlights on Netflix of all our games this season. If I get really motivated I will keep a record of converted chances to see when the change occurred if it is indeed real.

TC Redline

It was very noticeable that late in the season the proportion of chances turned into goals was significantly greater than earlier.
I suspect that came from greater confidence which allowed sensible choices being made in the box.
I am planning on watching the highlights on Netflix of all our games this season. If I get really motivated I will keep a record of converted chances to see when the change occurred if it is indeed real.
Id be interested in the second semi against Adelaide as at the game i thought in the second half we missed so many chances especially Cummings but didn’t watch it again so maybe my memory doesn't serve me well there. That was my concern going into the GF was missed chances but even though we missed a few and Glover was amazing my concern thankfully wasn’t realised. We were an awesome team on the break this year.

booney

Earlier in the season one of the posters on this forum and I can't remember who it was wrote that there would be a game where we would absolutely smash an opponent with an avalanche of goals.Who would have thought it would be the GF and against the best performing team of the last three seasons.

We certainly had a number of players who scored this year-Cummings,Silvera,Beni,Tulio,McGarry,Faz and Nizzy come to mind and I felt going into the GF the team had more goal scoring potential than City provided MacLaren was not given many chances and Tilio was kept quiet.Well our CBs and Stormy certainly did their jobs in bottling up those two.

Corsair

Earlier in the season one of the posters on this forum and I can't remember who it was wrote that there would be a game where we would absolutely smash an opponent with an avalanche of goals.Who would have thought it would be the GF and against the best performing team of the last three seasons.

We certainly had a number of players who scored this year-Cummings,Silvera,Beni,Tulio,McGarry,Faz and Nizzy come to mind and I felt going into the GF the team had more goal scoring potential than City provided MacLaren was not given many chances and Tilio was kept quiet.Well our CBs and Stormy certainly did their jobs in bottling up those two.
That'd be interesting... who didnt score this season?

Not sure this is accurate, where's Moresche?

Central Coast Mariners's current top scorers in A-League are Jason Cummings (20 goals), Oliveira Lemos (10 goals), Nkololo (8 goals), Silvera (8 goals), McGarry (4 goals), Farrell (2 goals), and Nisbet (2 goal).

Last edited:

Stuartmcateer

Time to feed 80% of this forum humble pie. In future listen to Uncle Jimmy and save yourselves from looking like fools.
To be fair, Sammy came here on the back of nothing when he was here last time and even less at the jets.

I’ve always had him in the “kids got talent but is wildly inconsistent” basket.

He started to string games together and the back end of the season but early on it was very much cracker or run about in circles falling over in a stiff breeze.

true believer

Here is a 30 minute supporters view of the Grand Final as shown from various parts of the stadium. It's a mashup of all the YouTube videos posted so far, but without the commentary.

great viewing .it's the little things

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20230527_113039.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230527_113039.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 14

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members