• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Reffing shockers at CCM games (yeah I know)

SFL

As background, I am an official myself and watch games both for the love of the game and for my development with the LOTG.

This season I have focused more closely on the officiating in this league than ever before as I continue to grow with the game.

Among several points to take away for my own game, certain observations continue to arise in each CCM match.

The decisions made in the first minute of each half need to have the most attention applied as with decisions in the last minute. Fairness, Consistency throughout.

See last night, tackles where ball was won with ambiguous fouls awarded to the other team.

Further example of this can be seen in games in recent memory where these somewhat minor moments in isolation are begrudgingly accepted and departed from quickly, but all eventually amount to a quantity sufficient to send fans, players and staff into boil-over moments.

I've seen our club win fouls with our own players cautioned or given lengthy lectures by the referee.

See Steve Lucas (Home v Melb City) on Moresche awarded foul and Y1 soon issued 2 minutes after, See Kurt Ams (Away v Syd) cautioning Urena after run was impeded and stumbled over the fouling Sydney player.

Minor moments sure, but when the actual crucial decisions need to be made, and yes they're sometimes made incorrectly, all of that lack of focus or fairness compounds to moments bringing the game into unfortunate disrepute.

Including last nights game, how did these matches pan out?

Fairness, Consistency, Body Language, Player Management are the crucial aspects of officiating and with this being missing, Referees only make a rod for their own backs in moments like last nights, or at Leichardt w Ams overturning an offside, or Lucas not being able to call a handball, the list goes on...

As a fan & member:

Since our inception as a club and joining as a member of CCM my family and I have been witness to most of the Referee Shockers that have been listed in this thread.

We have been around for the lowest and the highest of moments and maintained our membership throughout.

I suppose thats what being a part of the CCM family is about when you're a fan or a player.

We're not the "big city" club, We're not the tele market, We won't get the "Rub of the green", & none of the 50/50 challenges will go our way.

We will continue to have these Referee Shockers & the sooner we move on from this as a club, the sooner we can continue channelling this passion into a better game on the field and in our support in the stands.

Last edited:

adz

Staff member
I think the VAR process is a bit weird.
1. On-field ref misses something or makes a bad call
2. VAR goes hey I think you got this wrong, what do you think?
3. On-field ref then gets the option to say "OK yeah I'll have another look" or "Nope, I'm good"
4. If on-field ref has decided to have another look, they then stare at a screen for 5 minutes and have another option to say "oh yes I made a mistake there" or "even though it's clear to everyone else my original call was bad, I am sticking with it" or even "I can't see a damn thing on this ipad so will stick with the original call"... etc

Correct me if I'm wrong here but other uses of VAR I've seen have given VAR the ability to overrule the on-field decision - no arguments or discussion, we have the video, all the angles, and additional technology (sigh) - or if it's too tough to call, just go with the original on-field decision. I guess it looks more like...

2. VAR picks it up and says you made a mistake, VAR makes the call

OR

1. On-field ref isn't 100% sure so makes a decision and says VAR can you check
2. VAR has a look and if it's obvious from replays makes a call, or if it's not obvious says go with the on-field decision

I really don't understand why we sit here watching someone standing there with the ipad on the sidelines, with coaches and everyone yelling in their ear, trying to make a decision.

bikinigirl

No one rates us, we dont care

. well maybe its time we f**king did!

. it is an irk that has been building in me since our return from covid interruptus. in the perverted mind of 'them' they probably think it is what we want ... or that they can appease others at our expense because apparently 'we don't care'

. we often criticise 'messaging' within the game or that the club doesn't control 'the narrative' perhaps its time that we, as fans, take some responsibility and stop highlighting how submissive we are to our constant abuse

Big Al

We were screwed over many times before VAR and After it.

For a system that’s supposed to fix things it’s horrendous.

VAR is run by the same idiots making the mistakes in the first place.

Lets go back to no VAR and not waste 10mins a game and the stupid VAR VAR chant to see nothing happen

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Correct me if I'm wrong here but other uses of VAR I've seen have given VAR the ability to overrule the on-field decision - no arguments or discussion, we have the video, all the angles, and additional technology (sigh) - or if it's too tough to call, just go with the original on-field decision. I guess it looks more like...

2. VAR picks it up and says you made a mistake, VAR makes the call

OR

1. On-field ref isn't 100% sure so makes a decision and says VAR can you check
2. VAR has a look and if it's obvious from replays makes a call, or if it's not obvious says go with the on-field decision

I really don't understand why we sit here watching someone standing there with the ipad on the sidelines, with coaches and everyone yelling in their ear, trying to make a decision.

The process is that VAR is only there to recommend the referee review the decision - they're not to recommend a decision unless the referee specifically asks for it.

Except with black and white things like offside position - no need for a review there.

So yeah, VAR will say 'hey, I think you got this wrong, have a look at this'.

And I suppose this, in theory, adds in some redundancy - we all know how often VAR has got it wrong, so in theory this allows the ref to say 'go back to wanking into your Big Mac, Kurt, and leave the refereeing to the adults'.

Also, in our league where you might only really have 1 camera catch the incident with a poor angle, it gives the ref the chance to say 'I see how it looks, but I had a different angle and I saw something you didn't'. Not to mention that the referee is probably in a better position than VAR to say 'look, I get that you might think it's a foul, but in this particular match I've let a bit go so it's borderline today'. Again, this is what should happen...in theory.

But, there definitely needs to be more work around making the decision quickly.

Though how often have we heard people argue 'if you have to look at it for 5 minutes, it's not clear and obvious?'

Well, he looked at it for 5 minutes and it was C&O, and he still got it wrong!

Kilsin

. well maybe its time we f**king did!

. it is an irk that has been building in me since our return from covid interruptus. in the perverted mind of 'them' they probably think it is what we want ... or that they can appease others at our expense because apparently 'we don't care'

. we often criticise 'messaging' within the game or that the club doesn't control 'the narrative' perhaps its time that we, as fans, take some responsibility and stop highlighting how submissive we are to our constant abuse
I completely understand where you're coming from.

I think the "No one rates us, and we don't care" comes more from an underdog mentality than a submissive "walk all over us, give us poor decisions and treat us like shit" mentality.

We punch above our weight, make big teams work hard against us while we're on a shoestring budget and minimal team depth/wages but that doesn't mean we will take the abysmal reffing decisions called against us lying down or put up with this kind of crap...

JackMariner

The process is that VAR is only there to recommend the referee review the decision - they're not to recommend a decision unless the referee specifically asks for it.

Except with black and white things like offside position - no need for a review there.

So yeah, VAR will say 'hey, I think you got this wrong, have a look at this'.

And I suppose this, in theory, adds in some redundancy - we all know how often VAR has got it wrong, so in theory this allows the ref to say 'go back to wanking into your Big Mac, Kurt, and leave the refereeing to the adults'.

Also, in our league where you might only really have 1 camera catch the incident with a poor angle, it gives the ref the chance to say 'I see how it looks, but I had a different angle and I saw something you didn't'. Not to mention that the referee is probably in a better position than VAR to say 'look, I get that you might think it's a foul, but in this particular match I've let a bit go so it's borderline today'. Again, this is what should happen...in theory.

But, there definitely needs to be more work around making the decision quickly.

Though how often have we heard people argue 'if you have to look at it for 5 minutes, it's not clear and obvious?'

Well, he looked at it for 5 minutes and it was C&O, and he still got it wrong!
Who called the C*NT a KURT

JackMariner

We were screwed over many times before VAR and After it.

For a system that’s supposed to fix things it’s horrendous.

VAR is run by the same idiots making the mistakes in the first place.

Lets go back to no VAR and not waste 10mins a game and the stupid VAR VAR chant to see nothing happen

Attachments

• stomp.jpg
    stomp.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 10

JackMariner

From news.com.au (bolded and italicized by me) The state of the A-League’s officiating has come under fire after two controversial VAR rulings left players and coaches in “disbelief” and shaking their heads on Tuesday night.
A-Leagues managing director Danny Townsend said he would be “seeking answers” after the Central Coast Mariners were twice on the wrong end of referee Shaun Evans upholding his initial decisions after VAR consultations that ultimately cost them a result against Melbourne City on Tuesday evening.

After Beni Nkololo put Central Coast ahead, City was awarded a penalty for a Kye Rowles foul on Marco Tilio that was given despite the Mariners defender initially making contact outside the box.

Evans initially pointed to the spot and despite being called to review the foul by the VAR, he went on to uphold the decision, leading to Jamie Maclaren scoring from the resulting spot kick. What will the A-Leagues managing director do just like every other controversy SFA!

Attachments

• outside of box.jpg
    outside of box.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Kilsin

From news.com.au (bolded and italicized by me) The state of the A-League’s officiating has come under fire after two controversial VAR rulings left players and coaches in “disbelief” and shaking their heads on Tuesday night.
A-Leagues managing director Danny Townsend said he would be “seeking answers” after the Central Coast Mariners were twice on the wrong end of referee Shaun Evans upholding his initial decisions after VAR consultations that ultimately cost them a result against Melbourne City on Tuesday evening.

After Beni Nkololo put Central Coast ahead, City was awarded a penalty for a Kye Rowles foul on Marco Tilio that was given despite the Mariners defender initially making contact outside the box.

Evans initially pointed to the spot and despite being called to review the foul by the VAR, he went on to uphold the decision, leading to Jamie Maclaren scoring from the resulting spot kick.
It was on the radio this morning too as I was driving to work. I thought I got over my anger from last night and prepared to be upbeat for my clients this morning until I heard it again and was re-enraged for the day lol

bikinigirl

I completely understand where you're coming from.

I think the "No one rates us, and we don't care" comes more from an underdog mentality than a submissive "walk all over us, give us poor decisions and treat us like shit" mentality.

We punch above our weight, make big teams work hard against us while we're on a shoestring budget and minimal team depth/wages but that doesn't mean we will take the abysmal reffing decisions called against us lying down or put up with this kind of crap...

. of course that's what we are saying

. but if you feel you need to explain it ... and take two paragraphs to do so ... it proves my point: it is probably not the message being heard on the 'outside' i.e. it is open to interpretation - and we all know how that goes

SFL

Yeah but I keep getting Told Danny Townsend is a top bloke. Can't wait until Evans is at CCS next. We need to fill the stands with posters and chants calling him the cheating dog he is.
Not a chance FA will be sending him up to CCS any time soon if ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred