• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 2: Mariners v Nix

FFC Mariner

Thank God we didn't serve that rubbish up against the scum
Nix were poor and the good sides will all take 3 points there.
Ayongo was my stand out, Kaltak will be a squaddie behind Dan Hall
Aquilina needs to head off to the NPL and let's get Kuveski in.
Niz needs a genuine enforcer next to him.
Silvera is another bench player
3 Ayongo
2 Cumchip
1 John

Forum Phoenix

Second half was better but shouldn’t have taken conceding a goal to click into gear. We invited them to attack us in the last 10 which annoys me no end and is it any wonder we regularly conceded when doing so. I’ll take the point away from home and hopefully that knocked out some cob webs but just shows pre season means jack.

Yeah this for mine. Our rhythm and dominance broke with our sub of Kelechi and the backline reshuffle. Still should have defended that corner - but as commentators said - was coming as we took our foot off and just let them come into our third.

But, such a difficult away game - can never be unhappy with a point at that miserable f**king cake tin,

Monty must have gotten in Silvera’s ear at half time. Completely different player second half.

I though Niz was one of our best and key to our periods of dominance.

both CB’s though caught by a brilliant through ball, had good games and are very promising I think,

Cumdog deserved a brace at least.

Roux got exposed a couple times but otherwise really grew into the game I thought. And Ayongo worked hard,

Whilst there were some quality moments, no one really shone for 90 today, but thought Benji Faz and Max had weak games.

Last edited:

scottmac

Suspended
Hall is definitely needed for pace at the back. John is so far off where he needs to be fitness wise. Might find Kaltak moves to the middle whens he's not needed at the back. Good thing is no one played anywhere near their ability and we got a point.

Tevor

We were just to negative and possession based in the first half and Nix just sat back and we really struggled. Both CB’s had a shocker on their first goal as Waine was always a threat. You could tell we had a new keeper and CB’s as looked disjointed many times and a few nervy moments in the first 20 minutes. Ayongo is good but he seems to be the new Urena and many are quick to judge. Tulio looked promising and maybe should have been on earlier but Monty wanted us to defend the lead and we know how that turned out. Perhaps that was the grounding we needed as first half was probably the worst in Monty’s time as manager.

scottmac

Suspended
We were just to negative and possession based in the first half and Nix just sat back and we really struggled. Both CB’s had a shocker on their first goal as Waine was always a threat. You could tell we had a new keeper and CB’s as looked disjointed many times and a few nervy moments in the first 20 minutes. Ayongo is good but he seems to be the new Urena and many are quick to judge. Tulio looked promising and maybe should have been on earlier but Monty wanted us to defend the lead and we know how that turned out. Perhaps that was the grounding we needed as first half was probably the worst in Monty’s time as manager.
Yeah let's not forget that wellington were dominated in their first half last week and came out to be very solid in defence sitting back and allowing us time. We also looked to be easing into the game taking our time with an intent on being faster and fitter the second half. Not sure why we let them have the ball so much in that last 10. We went from high press to dropping deep and that really lost us the 2 points.

Corsair

Someone needs to tell the boys we don't need to walk it into the goal, when Sammy finally had a shot, goal. We could have pulled the trigger repeatedly and were gun shy. Across several players.

I think we'll see Hall back in the line up next match.

Niz had a good game, Cummings was all class. Not a big Roux fan but his passing and fight were excellent today.

Think we've seen enough of Aquilina unfortunately for him.

I didn't think the handball was worth a pen, would have been nice but it didn't deserve it for me. If we'd been on the receiving end of a pen for that I'd have been pissed off.

Ancient Mariner

Hard to pick a 3, 2, 1 as not one player was good.

Pass for Cumdog. Hard to give him MOM when he was only a 6.5 rating but his two goals were class.

Soft pass for Sammy, Nizzy, Storm, Ayongo and Kaltak.

Everyone else was a fail.
No arguments with this statement of 3 2 1. I could not have put it better myself.

booney

Lots of rust and cobwebs especially in the first half.However a point away from home is always precious.

Danny would be kicking himself for the late Nix goal as would Ayongo.Ayongo had a good game otherwise especially the assist for Cummings and his work rate is first class.Beni improved but early on looked as though he had not touched a football for six months.Cummings took his legal goal very well and his disallowed one was good to watch.

Silvera was anonymous till he scored and then was very involved especially doing defensive duties.Nisbet had a quiet first 30 minutes but then came into his own and enthused other players.Roux was sloppy early and seemed to out of position often but improved as the game progressed and did well when switched to the left side.

Farrell did not make many attacking forays and was tentative at times when he had the ball.Balard did turn the ball over quite often and also was tentative in possession.Kaltak is very strong in a one to one duel ,particularly in the air and Kelechi is similar.However both were caught out by a straight long ball on a couple of occasions giving Waine a clear run on goal.Smith was lucky not to get a straight red but he and Balard( and perhaps Hall) will battle in these first few games for the midfield anchor position.Jok and Tullio were not on the field long enough to have much influence but I feel the Brazilian will be valuable as the season unfolds.

Aquilina looked very much off the pace and will need to improve to justify his place in the squad.Ruhs also did not have much chance to show his good pre-season form.

Ozhammer

Still scratching my head over that game tbh. We never really seemed to get out of second gear and if we had played a team with quick ball movement, I fear that we would have been soundly beaten.

That said, we could also have certainly won the game but for Danny’s fumble, so I guess we should respect the point, especially being as it was over there.

We will need to be better next Sunday, even given how poor Perf have been so far.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

Kaltak was ok, not sure abut John. But we obviously need someone leading back there and organising, Maybe Dan Hall.
I will not blame Danny for the own goal unless he did not call for it. It was like a thick edge when the wicket keeper is standing up. Sometimes they do not stick.
Unfortunate.
I thought Storm played well, l but was often slow in getting back after we made an attacking raid. An old complaint. I really think he would be better playing as a CB these days, maybe in a back 3. Time for Kujesvki?
Not one of Jazz's better games.
If we are going to play high fullbacks we really need a DM more in way Bozanic used to play to the #6 role with Nizz playing the more go forward of the pair.
Not too impressed with Max. I think his role should be cover for Nizz.
Nizz was the only one who was willing to take the ball forward and manage to keep it.
Steele showed stupid immaturity and could have left us a man down. I am yet to see what others obviously see in him.
We were crying out for someone to take the ball to the Nut and put them to the test. Thank goodness Silvera showed what could be done.
Cummings showed the work ethic and quality that should get him a seat on the plane.
Along looked good.

Overall I thought we grew into the game after being confused by the Nun's packed defence and long ball releases.
When we went to 2-1 we should have carried on attacking and only sat back to defend when we had 4. We let them back into the game.

Lots of cobwebs to be blown away. Big difference between pre season trials and serious games. A shame we went out early in the Australian Cup.

Michael

Baffled at the doubt over Kelechi on here. He’s been signed as our main defender. And he will fulfill that role in the coming weeks. He did fine today when not fully fit. Him going off coincided with the nix getting back on top. Yes he, like Kaltak. Had some loose marking moments. But Kelechi saved a sure goal and was solid for the most part. And most importantly is a loud voice at the back organising everything.

Forum Phoenix

Baffled at the doubt over Kelechi on here. He’s been signed as our main defender. And he will fulfill that role in the coming weeks. He did fine today when not fully fit. Him going off coincided with the nix getting back on top. Yes he, like Kaltak. Had some loose marking moments. But Kelechi saved a sure goal and was solid for the most part. And most importantly is a loud voice at the back organising everything.

That's how I saw it. His power and commitment one on one against Zawada — who will give a lot of CB's trouble this year — was appreciated and Kraev was visibly frustrated. He also looks good on the ball and strong in the air.

The direct balls did catch them twice. But once it was a fast turn over from our set piece and there was a giant hole in the middle because both Max and Niz were caught out of position - presuming at least one is suppose to screen the back line. The other, credit where it's due, was a quality strikers run by Waine, curved his run then peeled off last man at the perfect moment to receive an even better ball by Ugarkovic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred