• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ALM - BrisneyLand Roar v CCM : football in a alternate dimension

marinermick

In hindsight it worked. In general I'm not a fan of the tactic, and its fair for fans to have concerns during the game and not be labelled 'negative'

Where did I label you “negative”?

Tactic has been paying off in football for decades in leagues all over the world. It is generally a well worn and successful tactic.

Last edited:

priorpeter

Where did I label you “negative”?

Tactic has been paying off in football for decades in leagues all over the world. It is generally a well worn and success tactic.
Suspect @Hello Sailor was referring to my tongue in cheek comment about the negativity in the thread when we were 2-0 up. Away. In Brisbane. At Suncorp. Which has never happened before.

shipwreck

I wonder if Jacko knows how toothless Kuol and Reec are and has built the team around them being distractions and pesters with the majority of goals coming from the attacking support players

Forum Phoenix

Boys were dead on their feet. We didn’t have the legs to be expansive. It was the right tactics and it paid off.

I was extremely pleased we were this tactically flexible.

Exactly this. Ask the the players to push through that level of fatigue and we'd probably have a bunch of injuries and would have been poor management.

People worried about the risk of sitting deep, this is not the same equation as when you go up, get fearful and or go into your shell to try and protect your lead. We would have been much more exposed on the counter with tired players unable to chase than we were by parking the bus.

With a tough away trip for a team playing their third game in 8 days, a lesser coach would either have tried to shut up shop too early, maybe even at one nil, which we didn't, or be too scared to change what had been working and we'd have almost certainly crumbled. As Mick said, this was MJ being both sensible and tactically flexible.

Wombat

Exactly this. Ask the the players to push through that level of fatigue and we'd probably have a bunch of injuries and would have been poor management.

People worried about the risk of sitting deep, this is not the same equation as when you go up, get fearful and or go into your shell to try and protect your lead. We would have been much more exposed on the counter with tired players unable to chase than we were by parking the bus.

With a tough away trip for a team playing their third game in 8 days, a lesser coach would either have tried to shut up shop too early, maybe even at one nil, which we didn't, or be too scared to change what had been working and we'd have almost certainly crumbled. As Mick said, this was MJ being both sensible and tactically flexible.

My son once won a GF 1.0 at Pluim Park playing for Kariong FC when he was maybe 10yo. They had one gun player in the team and the rest were pretty average.
We played Killarney or some Northern Coast team who had gone through undefeated. The Gun player scored a 25 yard screamer after about 30 mins. Harry's team moved the Gun to Centre forward and parked the bus. The repelled everything and made no attempt to play Football just wellied everything back up the other end. They must have conceeded 500 throw ins as the ball and sometimes the player were constantly sent over the sideline but they could not be breeched.
When the whistle went the other side sat down in shock.
We (the parents) lost our shit and invaded the pitch to celebrate.
None of the kids were tired at all even though they didn't stop.
Defending is relatively easy when everyone picks up and tracks every runner. The Italian's did this for years. Boring Arsenal did it for a few seasons.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So, the last time i was in Brisneyland (before immigrating I mean) to see a winning Mariners game at Lang Park , was the night before Ange took over , 3-0 to the Coast I believe @marinermick ....and the teacher was being praised

Last edited:

marinermick

So, the last time i was in Brisneyland (before immigrating I mean) to see a winning Mariners game , was the night before Ange took over , 3-0 to the Coast I believe @marinermick ....and the teacher was being praised

Haha, the teacher. She had a nice pair. Nicky Travis, Hutch and Pedj were the scorers that night. The limo Hummer ride back with my team to the Gold Coast was pretty sweet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred