• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM v WU.. Spool Bowl.. Our hope for redemption!

scottmac

Suspended
I disagree with this. WU players stop playing when the second ball was on the pitch and one players stops closing down the player that passed to Max.

As much as we think the decision was bullshit it was correct as there were two balls on the pitch and it interfered with play.

What I am unsure of is that if VAR has a mandate to rule on this but I suspect they have.
Even if they do have mandate to rule on this the ref saw the ball, saw it cleared and called play on. For VAR to overturn it, that call must be a clear and obvious error. So while the call was in essence right, the decision to overturn it is grey as f**k.

Tevor

Even if they do have mandate to rule on this the ref saw the ball, saw it cleared and called play on. For VAR to overturn it, that call must be a clear and obvious error. So while the call was in essence right, the decision to overturn it is grey as f**k.
I actually don’t think the VAR was involved, the assistant who would have seen Diamanti kick the second ball on the field has intervened to overturn the decision.

midfielder

We all saw the right side defence and we all saw the inability when beaten for the rest of the defence to recover.

Equally we saw the attack time and time again rip into their defence.

Any news on Hall, he could make the difference if he can return to last year's form

VonBowellski

I haven't watch the game from yesterday, just the highlights so correct me if I'm wrong but I don't understand all the hate for storm at LB. Not his usual position, one footed player (which unfortunately most are), and asked to do a job where in preseason and I think once or twice last year he played LB too where the general consensus was he did a good job previously. If he had a shit game at RB, then he deserves it to a degree, but not when he is playing on the opposite side of the field.

Tevor

That’s what Glory said last week :tinfoilhat:

Do you mean Faz was going to be out this week but made it to the bench, or he was playing injured last week?
Monty said he had a groin strain and it wasn’t until last minute he said he was right to go so was on the bench if needed. The changes seem mostly about injuries not performance based.

Big Al

I disagree with this. WU players stop playing when the second ball was on the pitch and one players stops closing down the player that passed to Max.

As much as we think the decision was bullshit it was correct as there were two balls on the pitch and it interfered with play.

What I am unsure of is that if VAR has a mandate to rule on this but I suspect they have.
I agree they did stop playing but there is one thing more important than the law and that’s the guy in charge of implementing the law.

He knew there was 2 balls and let it play. Everyone is taught in every sport play the whistle.

The problem occurs after the goal were he decides it’s a good idea to take advice from someone else (linesman or VAR it doesn’t matter) and changes his mind.

You need consistency and we all know the referees are so confused themselves on what to let go and what can be saved or stuffed up by The game being refereed again.

There was an instant in the 1st half where we took a free kick in our own half with a rolling ball and Aloisi clearly yells its rolling. The referee is of the mind it doesn’t matter let’s play but we could have scored and WU would have blown up.

We need referees to be strick so these things don’t turn into something.

The whole problem goes back to the laziness of the referee to stop play at the sight of the 2nd ball and if he ignores that law he needs to stick to his decision. He can’t back track because we scored.

Lovely dummy by ballard. Lovely strike by the dingo.

More importantly we could have dropped our heads and said it’s not our day especially after the first couple if games. Very impressed with the mental effort to stay focused.

Big Al

Interested to see where those who were questioning Monty are now ?
What a fight-back. Yes, they were down to 10 but you can only beat what’s in front of you and they were certainly all in front of us, packing literally everyone behind the ball after the red, until we scored our third.
HT subs changed the game.
That was an early season 6 pointer for us.

As an aside - f**k Neil Kilkenny and everything about him. Absolutely the shittest human in the league.
You could say the 4 goals are more impressive because that’s how WU like to play and we are horrible against a packed defense.

I saw a lot more composure today and a clear plan on how to attack and then throw in a wonder kid and things happen.

Garang was simply amazing and the dingo did what is supposed to take advantage of the creativity

Wombat

Triantis was superb, I hope he starts as many games as humanly possible. So calm. Preferably next to Kelechi when he’s fit. Kaltak didn’t impress me live to be honest. I thought niz and max were better than last week, still have gears to move onto for sure though.
guys like Ruhs, Silvera and Tulio are now in the shoes that fazz, beni and Paul were in today. They should be dropped next week and show a similar reaction when given the chance. f**k me that’s as healthy as a football squad gets.
Kelechi was culpable on both goals last week but hopefully he improves as the season moves along. Triantis had a very good game but got turned over on the second goal and could have cut out the first if he was more switched on.
I do think he is a great prospect and i'd look at him alongside Hall for the next game.

Ancient Mariner

After watching the game live I have been waiting for a chance to watch the replay. A couple of the comments here did not match with what I thought I saw live. So I thought it better to watch the match again before commenting.
Half time comments:
As pointed out above Storm was not as bad as some made out, but was struggling with no left foot.
Kaltak was a rock and one of the best on the park. Won everything in the air and was not flustered.
Silvera seemed to lose track after missing with his two shots. I thought he spent too much time in field which left the sideline very open for their counter attacks and was pretty ineffectual in defence. Aquilina and Triantis struggled to cope with what came steaming through.
I thought Monty would move Storm to the right and take Aquilina off and replace Silvera. I got it partly right.
Nizz I thought was having his best run this year and controlling the central midfield.
Thus played well but is raw, he will be good.
Tulio was better than what I initially thought. His skill will be become more obvious as he adjusts to the league and the team. Very impressive. He needs to get the dip working on his free kick.
On the free kick someone needs to tell our players that you cannot be within 1.5m of a defensive wall made up of at least 3 defenders. If Tulio had found the net the goal may have been ruled out as Thus was infringing.

Time to enjoy the second half.

Ancient Mariner

All the subs (especially Kuol) made a massive contribution. It is great having quality depth.
Kuolo running at tired defences is an awesome weapon. It was good to see Benni and Fazz get their Mojo back and Luongo may have done enough to start next game.
Overall.
I think the centre backs will stay until Dan can push one out. Kaltak was solid and safe and dominated the high balls. The only worry I have with Triantis is that he seems to lack a bit of pace, which can cause problems when you are defending high.
I like Aquilina's attack but am yet to be convinced about his defence. I think he will get better with more game time.
Nizz I thought played an excellent controlling game similar to that that was played by Bozanic before he went off the rails. Good to see him having a shot even if he did hit the screen. goals will come. Interesting that when Steele came on he moved into an AM position. Getting better every week.
Maxi had a good solid game with flashes of brilliance. Great leave for the non goal.
I like Tulio's corners when they clear the first defender. They come like a bullet and will lead to goals. A very narrow margin for error though.

Lots of improvements still to come. Future looking positive.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred